Thursday, February 5, 2009

Take Your Daughter Sister To Work Day



My mom and I decided to crash my brother's workday and sit in on one of his trials. He just started working as a prosecutor for the DA's office in December and we wanted to see his skills in action. One thing I learned. Well two things. One: my brother is a GOOD lawyer! I already knew he could argue, but when it's not geared towards me it's actually very entertaining :) Two: Trials are long. Incredibly interesting and sometimes fiery (esp with a brother like mine who has a bit of a flair for the dramatic). But long. We got there around 9am, the judge finally recessed at 5pm, and they have to go back tomorrow to finish up.

Hard at work.

I really wish we could have seen the verdict (because Nate's totally going to win!), but we really enjoyed sitting in the back taking it all in. My mom has done jury duty before and even sat on the jury for a murder trial, but I had no idea how the process works. We also got to back in the room with Nate and his partner and watch them mull over the jury selections debating who would be good to keep, who to scratch, etc. Very cool. All in all it was a very educational day. And I have a newfound respect for all the technical grey areas attorneys have the ability to come up with and then find ways to debate for hours. And I mean hours.

Happy Thursday!

1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to say hello. I have been reading your blog recently and stumbled upon it from kellys Korner.I am also a newlywed living in the DFW area.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your sweet comment! If you leave a question, make sure to check back - I try to reply to everyone!