Friday, June 30, 2017

Making Time For Down Time!

Hello! 

 I did not intend to take a month blogging break, but that is exactly what I did. When life gets busy, my time management skills really start to shine, ahem, and blogging is typically the first thing to go by the wayside. We just ended our fantastic beach vacation (SO many pictures and memories to post about that!), and while we were away, I admitted to Will that I way overbooked our June and how sad I am that one month of summer is gone, just like that. Don't get me wrong, we've had a lot of fun this past month, but I desperately wanted this summer to be relaxing and include lots of family time after such a crazy year (Kindergarten and a new baby rocked my world the last 9 months, to say the least). That being said, we are heading into July with a much more open calendar and the phrase, "No, but thank you for thinking of us!" planted firmly on my lips. I know I'm not the only one who has trouble saying no, right? Especially when it is to do fun things with fun friends that I know my kids will enjoy. I just also know that the crash that comes later from being too stimulated and too busy is extremely NOT fun. We've had plenty of those moments this past month as well. 

One way I've let the kids decompress is with some good old-fashioned TV time. I created a semi-structured but still laid back (if that's possible?) summer schedule for us that includes iPad times twice a day. One time-slot for educational games and apps (our favorites are Starfall, ABC Mouse, and coolmath4kids) and one time-slot for whatever they want to watch. The last one is strategically during the lovely witching-hour while I'm trying to make dinner and bounce a baby. Thanks to Netflix, the kids have so many choices, and they have their own profile that is jam-packed with fun and age-appropriate shows! 

Liam's newest obsession is Pokemon! He came home from school talking about it towards the end of the school year, and it has been his show of choice all month. Now, you won't find us driving all over town searching for Pokemon characters with our phones, but we did get him his first small set of trading cards to play with during our long drive to Florida. 


Now, the XY series is his go-to, but Netflix actually has three series shows and two movies available, and most are TV-Y7 (except the original 2000 tries that is just TV Y; we haven't watched that one yet). 

Liesl is loving anything with music she can sing her heart out to! Her Netflix cue right now is filled with...







 I highly recommend these for the preschool crowd! 

On the drive home, I made a list of all the blog posts I need to write about our June adventures and came up with 12!!! I have my work cut out for me to get caught up, but I am determined to do it.

*This post is in partnership with Netflix. All recommendations and opinions are my own!*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your sweet comment! If you leave a question, make sure to check back - I try to reply to everyone!