Friday, July 24, 2009

Show Us Your Wedding Dress!

I mentioned a while ago I wanted to do a wedding post since I finally had possesion of all my wedding photos - then I saw over at Kelly's Korner she was going to be doing a series of posts on weddings....one with the dress, one with the ceremony, the reception, etc. so I'd thought I'd wait and join in on that! Today's post is "Show Us Your Wedding Dress!"


Or in my case, dresses.

I loooooove my wedding dress. Yes, present tense because I would still wear it everyday if I could. My mom and I only went to two stores and I knew it was the one the moment I saw it. It's very simple, all of the detail is in the fabric, no beading or crystals or anything. I loved the sweetheart neckline (it actually made me look like I have a little somethin-somethin!) and the mermaid cut with a dropped waist made me look longer (so keep that in mind if you're a shorty like me, future brides!)


After we had already found and purchased the perfect dress, my mom and I were messing around and I wanted to try on her dress just for fun. It fit me perfectly! I knew it had to be a sign so we spent the next month figuring out when I was going to wear it - it went back and forth between wearing it for the ceremony or surprising my dad and coming out in it for the father/daughter dance. In the end we settled for the ceremony bc the dance thing was too tricky and since the ceremony is the "traditional" part of the wedding, it seemed the most fitting. I feel so lucky that I was able to wear my mom's wedding gown - she didn't have it preserved and it was still in practically perfect condition! The lace had faded a bit, but it gave it a slightly antiqued look rather than an icky yellow. I was also lucky it wasn't too "eighties" with the big shoulders or anything - it was very simple with some beading, lots of gorgeous lace, and small pleats down the front. The only thing we did was remove the sleeves (it did have full length sleeves!) and some tulle underneath. I also wore her veil after we toned it down by removing three layers of tulle. What's with the eighties and tulle??! :)



These are my two bridal potraits. The picture on the left was my big bridal on canvas that was at the entrance of the cocktail room, and the picture on the right was framed and hung from a large mirror in the reception hall. (click to make bigger)


My mom and I in the same dress 28 years apart! We had these pictures framed and placed on the fireplace mantle in the cocktail room.


And finally some candids just for fun :)




Ok, I'm done. I promise.
Until next week :)
xo, Lyndsey

10 comments:

  1. That is the sweetest thing ever! You got to wear your mom's dress! I love it. Those are the types of things you see in movies! Both dresses are beautiful! You are right...her dress was in awesome condition. Thanks for visiting me! Yes, Im a fellow friend when it comes to dress obsession ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love both of your dresses! what a fun thing to be able to do (and lucky that your mom's dress was so pretty!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty dress! That's awesome you and your mom have photos of the both of you in the same dress! First time to your blog, looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. I love that you wodre her dress, yet still had your own.
    I bet your mom loved it.
    You looked really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yeah, that's the new paint and it is a gray-ish color. I really like it but of course in photos it just looks washed out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your mom's dress - with the modified sleeves of course. It's really awesome you could wear it! I tried on my mom's and couldn't zip it up :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Your mom must have been so thrilled!
    What a beautiful gown and terrific photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ahhh! so beautiful!! I love it. Lucky girl you got to wear 2 beautiful dresses! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a stunning bride...love the pictures....Your dress was gorgeous.

    I have a fun post up today with two giveaways on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those were so fun!

    I would wear my dress every day if I could too. They had to MAKE me leave the reception because I did not want to take it off. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your sweet comment! If you leave a question, make sure to check back - I try to reply to everyone!